Title: The Glory and Majesty of Jesus
Text: John 17: 3-8
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Introduction: We continue our teaching our series the “Six Practical Lessons and Principles About Prayer from the Prayer life of Jesus,” with a focus on John 17:1-26. This morning, we shall consider the glory and majesty of Jesus by interpreting verses 3-8 and other related texts. Toward the goal of this sermon, we shall consider first the Trinitarian gifts, as observed in these key verses and in Jesus communicating his divine life with God the Father. Next, we shall go on to highlight three major truths about the Trinity and in respect to God the Father and God the Son: 1) The Glory and Majesty of God is our Hope, 2) The Glory and Majesty of Jesus is our Security, and 3) Jesus’s Words Reveal Truths about Who God Is and His Relationship with God.
The Trinitarian Gifts: God the Father and God the Son as Gift-Givers (John 17:1-21)
- Both God the Father and God the Son impart Gifts generously and graciously.
- God the Holy Spirit mediates these gifts or makes these gifts possible.
- The goal of these gifts is to reveal, honor, and praise the Trinitarian God.
- What we learn about these gifts is how both God the Father and the God the Son have committed to each other in eternal past (Reciprocal mutuality).
- The Father’s Sixfold Gift to the Son:
- The Father gave the Son authority to give eternal life (v.2).
- The Father gave the Son a (chosen) people out of this world (v2, 6, 9, 24).
- The Father gave the Son work to accomplish (v. 4).
- The Father gave the Son words to speak (v. 8).
- The Father gave the Son His Name (vv. 11, 12).
- The Father gave the Son glory (vv. 22, 24)
2. The Son’s Fourfold Gift to his Followers:
The Son gave eternal life to those the Father has given Him (v. 2).
- The Son gave his followers the Father’s Word (s) (vv. 8, 14).
- The Son revealed (manifested) the Father to his disciples (vv. 6, 26).
- The Son gave his followers the Father’s glory (v.22).
Point # 1: The Glory and Majesty of God is our Hope (17:3)
“And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God…”
Other References about truthfulness and exclusivity of God: Ex. 20:1-5, 34:6; Is. 48:3-11; Deut. 6:4 [Shema]; Is. 37:30; John 5:44
Point # 2: The Glory and Majesty of Jesus is our Security (17:5)
“And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.”
Other References: Proverbs 8:22-36; John 1:1-13; Hebrews 1:1-13
Point # 3: Jesus’s Words Reveal Truths about Who God Is and His Relationship with God (17:6-7)
- Do not take Jesus’s words for granted for they’re life-giving and sustaining words.
- Those who do not hear the words of Jesus do not hear the voice of God, and will be judged and condemned by God.
- Jesus is the Wisdom of God
Other References: John 5:24, 8:47, 6:60-69.
For the power point presentation, click on the link below
Click on the link below to listen to the audio version:
Click on the link below to watch: